‘Blood deficiency’ is a diagnostic pattern in the Chinese Medical system that is commonly treated with acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine. However, acupuncture and herbs can only do so much! One of the most important aspects in maintaining optimal health is ensuring that we are properly nourished with food, water and rest.
Blood deficiency may occur due to poor nutrition over a long period of time, which then results in the body’s inability to produce enough blood. Women with very heavy menstrual bleeding or that have recently given birth may suffer from blood deficiency. Blood loss for any reason can result in blood deficiency symptoms as well. Others are constitutionally prone to blood deficiency.
Some of the most common symptoms associated with general blood deficiency include:
- Pale skin
- Dry skin, hair, nails
- Scanty or lack of (amenorrhea) menstruation & infertility
- Muscle weakness, spasms or numbness
- Poor memory
While I would not suggest blood tonic herbs or acupuncture points without seeing someone privately, I feel confident recommending these muffins because they are made with ingredients that are just all around nourishing! They are made specifically with ingredients that are particularly nourishing for the blood. So without further ado here they are:
1 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup black strap molasses
½ cup soy milk
1 ¼ cup pumpkin puree
¾ cup oats
2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & Spray 6 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Mix oat flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Stir pumpkin puree, soy milk, eggs, and black strap molasses into the dry ingredients until batter is smooth; fold oats into batter. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them to the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes; set aside to cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving
They might not look very pretty (i.e. they definitely don’t), but I can assure you, they are delicious!